Order your yearbook

Order your yearbook
Order your yearbook today!

Wednesday, November 1, 2017

Coenen Scores Again

by Hunter Tangwall
This was a record-breaking year for LCHS Senior Charlie Coenen. Not only was he able to break the record for most career goals with 82, but he scored 33 this season alone to take the single season goal-scoring record. The career goal record was previously held by his older brother Tyler Coenen who graduated in 2013. When asked about how he feels taking his brother´s record Charlie had this to say: “It feels very rewarding. It feels like all of my hard work over the years of playing soccer have paid off. It’s bittersweet because I really like my brother, but I know he’s proud of me. I hope someone comes along and breaks my record because that would mean Little Chute has good soccer players.”
The Coenen family is no newcomer to soccer success here at LCHS. Charlie’s older brothers Tyler and Ben both had great careers here playing for the Mustangs, as well as at Carroll University where they were both able to have great careers there. When ask about his future soccer and school plans Coenen had the following to say: “ Yes, I am going to play at Carroll University in college. Hopefully that’s not the end of my career, though. I want to play soccer for as long as I am physically able to.”
It was a rebuilding year for the Mustangs as they only had 4 seniors and a total of 6 returning players from the previous year. With the young team Coenen had around him, it is hard to believe the success he was able to achieve. “Firstly, my coaches and teammates,” Coenen said when asked who he contributes his success to. “From my first soccer team, my coaches and teammates have been there to push me to be better. My coaches have taught me so much about the game, especially Coach JJ this past season and my club coach Quinn Ross from the past two years,” said Coenen. But with a young team comes somes struggles as the Mustangs were 1-11 at the end of the season. Going into their regional play in game not knowing much about their opponents the Mustangs went in with a must win mentality. Despite their effort they came up short losing five to seven, with Coenen scoring all five goals, three of which were before halftime.

It was a season to remember for Charlie and his family. As he moves on in his academic and soccer career his family and coaches know he will be successful. Future Mustang soccer players will have Charlie’s accomplishments to look up to as they come through the school. His accomplishments will be permanently enshrined in the LCHS history books.  

No comments:

Post a Comment